Mindstretch Preschool provides a nurturing, therapeutic and educational environment for children with mild to moderate learning challenges, with special provision made for those on the autism spectrum. We appropriately individualise our tuition programme to the needs of each child, with regular progress monitoring and reporting.
Our Tuition Programme
We deliver facilitated learning with reference to the National Curriculum: our ultimate objective is to equip learners, wherever possible, for ‘inclusive education’.
- Mindstretch offers several classes and programmes, each designed to suit the needs of the children they serve.
- Our teachers are highly qualified, in keeping with national standards. We seek a minimum NQF level 6 for teaching the higher grades, and a minimum NQF level 4 qualification for teaching the lower grades and younger children.
- All of our educators are special needs trained, and all are trained in HANDLE® (Holistic Approach to Neuro-Development and Learning Efficiency; www.handle.org), thus facilitating our coordinated educational and therapeutic approach. Our educators all take Autism Western Cape training.
- We maintain a low pupil-to-teacher ratio: our classes have a maximum 4-to-1 ratio, except for our senior Grade R class, which has a maximum 5-to-1 ratio.
- HANDLE therapy is provided every day, to assist the building of neurological pathways that promote learning. We apply other optimal learning approaches such as Brain Gym® and tablet learning where appropriate.
- Promotion of gross motor activities include climbing, trampoline work, ball skills, balance activities and more. Fine motor skills are similarly developed, with activities tailored to each child’s ability. Sensory integration activities provide ample opportunities for ‘messy play’, gardening, and related activities.
- We address social skills, including greeting, turn taking and reciprocal play, and expressing emotions appropriately, among other considerations.
- Speech therapy is available on an extramural basis, as provided on Mindstretch premises. Occupational therapy is also available.
- Structured movement classes and baking lessons are just two of the extras Mindstretch provides.
- Every child’s progress is reviewed monthly, with relevant amendments to their customised programme implemented in order to ensure ongoing stimulation and optimal learning.
- Our Aftercare programme includes supervised activities, storytelling and playtime, with inclusion of appropriate rest periods.
Located in Pinelands (Cape Town), we provide an intimate, nurturing and child-friendly environment designed to facilitate learning and keep distractions and stress to an absolute minimum.
Our standard school day runs from 07h30–08h30 to 12h30/13h00. Aftercare is available to either 14h30 or to 17h00.