Mindstretch provides a multidisciplinary approach to a wide variety of learning challenges. Such difficulties are often associated with ADD, ADHD, autism, Down syndrome, dyslexia, slow processing of information and an inability to complete tasks within a reasonable time-frame. Our holistic approach looks both within the individual and at the environment that might be contributing to learning challenges.
Moving from Labelling to Enabling
Mindstretch looks beyond the labels to the causes underlying learning or behavioural difficulties. Having identified the causes, we develop rational, individualized programmes aimed at strengthening and building the neurological pathways vital for learning and efficient functioning. By addressing the root cause, we can lower stress and positively impact other difficulties that an individual might be facing.
Mindstretch incorporates the HANDLE® (Holistic Approach to Neuro-Development and Learning Efficiency; www.handle.org) approach that was pioneered in the USA. We also apply other optimal learning approaches such as Brain Gym® within our preschool programme.
- See our video showcasing application of the HANDLE approach through Mindstretch. We show training at full service schools (Western Cape Education Department), where we worked to educate and empower teachers. Other scenes show therapy for learners with autism and cerebral palsy.
HANDLE is an effective non-drug treatment for people of all ages and for a wide range of challenges, including:
- Acquired brain injury
- ADD, ADHD
- Autism and autism spectrum disorders
- Compromised motor skills and coordination
- Conduct disorders
- Down syndrome
- Reading and writing difficulties
- Sensory integration dysfunctions
- Tics and Tourette syndrome
HANDLE is founded on an interactive developmental model of human functioning. It incorporates research and techniques from medicine, rehabilitation, psychology, education and nutrition. Efficacy has been validated through successful real-world application and scientific research.